Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My New Community

Well, my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer has begun. I started work last Monday, after being afforded a restful 4-day weekend following swear in. My first week was certainly uneventful. I spent it at the centre where I’ll be based (Meameno HIV/AIDS Support Centre). Not a lot happens there right now. My primary job is to change that. The centre just opened in May and most people either don’t know it exists, or what we do there. Once in a while somebody will stop by… A community member wanting to get involved, a police officer sheepishly looking for the free condoms, or young children taking guavas from the trees. With little else to do, I’ve at least gotten to know my counterparts, Zenecia and Mattheu a little better. They are local volunteers. The three of us run the centre, and work under Councillor Tobias and RACOC (Regional Aids Committee).

While I did spend most of the first week staring at my watch, I also had one pretty productive day. On Tuesday, we did some work in the field. In the morning we went out with TCE (Total Control of the Epidemic) members to identify homes with a need for home-based care. RACOC has a budget to facilitate home-based care training so we’re beginning that process. In the afternoon, we delivered condoms to employees of one of the grocery stores. The response was great. They were very happy to see us and suggested we come more often. This second act was so easy, yet really gratifying. I’ve spent much of my time in Namibia doubting my ability to be an effective volunteer… that’s nothing new, I’m a pessimist and tend to doubt myself more often than not. The Peace Corps reminds us to recognize small victories. I think this day qualified, and boosted my self esteem.

If anybody is interested there are Peace Corps Namibia 2008 calendars available for purchase. A former Namibia PCV, Shayna Dooling, started this project a couple years ago. I’m sorry to say I don’t remember exactly which cause this supports but proceeds do go to Namibia. To order:

E-mail
duffyd@optonline.net
Mail check – U.S. $11 each – payable to Shayna Dooling – 18 Donack Lane, Bellport, NY 11713 (they are mailed from the U.S. so shipping should be fast)

Also, check out the blog link listed on the left. It comes from a fellow volunteer here in Namibia. He has several other current Namibia Volunteer blogs attached to his site.

7 comments:

Heather Jones said...

Hey Dave!!

I'm glad your sticking it out there! You will be of use just because you are willing and able...and that is all you need to do to make a difference.

Good news for you, I don't know if you have been following it at all, but our Packers almost made the superbowl! They lost to the Giants by just a field goal! Unfortunately the Patriots are in, but maybe the Giants can beat them! The Packers did awesome this year!!

Anonymous said...

First of all you should tell Winnie and Susana that teaching you how to dance is a lost cause:) We miss you . . . the church will be moving into Beaver School on March 1st. Things are pretty crazy trying to get things together! We are excited to see what God has in store for us. Pray for the church and this new journey. We wish you were here but at the same time we are so proud and excited for your new adventure! We love and miss you Dave!

dedgar said...

I guess I figured out how to do this once again.

Sure miss connecting with you; especially during BB season.

I guess you know by now that you Packers lost a close one last Sunday which would have taken them to that last special game of the season. Thought of you every moment of the game and afterwards... I'm praying for you...both that you get over the Packer news and for your time over their as you continue your adventure and work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

We've just moved to Seattle and are settling in nicely. I had lunchwith a fellow RPCV; there are quite a few in this office--Slovakia, Bulgaria, and of course me, Sri Lanka. It is fun to talk about those times, and then to read about what you are doing right now! Sounds like your PC experience is going along well! The training is so intense that when your real work starts it can only feel really slack. Nice work in making it through....my batch in SL lost over 1/2 before we were placed, which was pretty tough for all of us. Looks like things are more stable in Namibia! Man, I wish i was there!--Sean

Dave Bull said...

Hey everybody,

Thanks for your comments! Hey Cousin Sean, thanks for your updates... Seattle huh? I've always wanted to spend some time there. I don't think I have your e-mail anymore. Get it to me if you can. I'll see if I can't get it from my mom.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave! here is my email:
deblieck_s@hotmail.com
Also..do you have facebook? I've got some photos posted there

shornbeck said...

Hi Dave!!

Wow, I finally figured out how to do this blog thing. I'm excited!

So I see that you've gotten the news about the church moving to the school. With all the changes in giving recently, everyone felt they would rather use our money to reach out to people than to spend it on rent. It will be a BIG change to go back to being a portable church, but we can do it. Roger just bought a used U-Haul truck to store and move our stuff. We are trying hard to plan so that we can be as effecient as possible. We are painting almost all the walls at the church building and sorting through all the stuff we have accumulated over 5 years there. Man, we are pack-rats!!!

Our son, Josh, just got engaged in January to a wonderful girl. We love her!! They are planning a wedding for sometime in August in Seattle. We are really excited for them.

The snow has been daunting here! We have only seen our front yard on occassion since December 10th. Another big storm blew through on February 3 with high winds so the drifts were huge. Now it is cold and icy. I'm ready for summer - or Hawaii!!

We REALLY, REALLY, REALLY miss you here. Thanks for being so diligent to keep us all up to date on what you are doing.

You are in our prayers!