Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Etosha



Camping at Etosha was great. I didn’t expect to get so close to so many animals. And, I never expected to see lions! They say it’s tough to find them usually. Here are some pictures. Yes, we were this close to them. I have to give photo credit to Nick Boire. He took these ones.

We saw giraffes, zebras, hyenas, mongoose, wildebeest, oryx, jackals and lions. It was the wrong time of year for elephants and rhinos. Oh, and Etosha is the 6th largest game park in the world… I misspoke in the last blog.

It was really nice to spend some time with the volunteers too. I camped with Nick, Ian and Chris. They are the first ones I’ve seen since swear in. I’m headed to Swakopmund this weekend. It’s supposed to be a nice coastal town, pretty touristy though. I’m just looking forward to the beach. We have a 5-day weekend thanks to Easter and Independence Day. Why don’t we get Monday off for Easter in the States? Bummer for you guys.

5 comments:

shornbeck said...

These photographs are amazing to look at! I really like the one of you with the giraffe in the background. Even though you didn't take them, it must have been an awesome experience - one you will remember the rest of your life. Nothing like the zoo, huh?

Happy Easter, Dave! We miss you!!
Sharon

Roger Hornbeck said...

What a great opportunity! Has anyone recorded March Madness for you?
Roger

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
Wow, cool pictures!
Sounds like you are enjoying yourself!I am sure they enjoy you being there!
You are very much in ours prayers!
Go Dave Go!

Rod Goebel

Nicolas said...

I am so jealous! Soak it all up man !! Watch out those Hyenas they will try to eat anything!

Anonymous said...

Hello Son,

Say, you are looking pretty healthy in that picture with the giraffe. I even noticed a bulge in your biceps. Must be doin some kinda work out.
Called you on Easter, but you were probably sunning at the beach.
Your life is inspiring.
Love,dad.