Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I finally played basketball last night. The first five minutes were a blast. Then I remembered how much running full court basketball requires. Actually my body reminded me. I thought I was going to hyperventilate. I had to stop running. I pretty much just stayed back and played defense. Eventually, I got a second wind and rejoined the offense. They have an interesting system of play. We play first team to two baskets wins. Then the losing team subs in one or two players from the sidelines. The game never really stops, you just get new players on the court. It probably would’ve been better if I was on the losing team and got to sit out a little. Unfortunately, I was playing with the star of the high school team. The guy never missed, especially from the three-point line. And he was unselfish, passed to us more than he shot. I was impressed. I thought I would be in all kinds of pain today, but I actually feel pretty good. I escaped with just one purple toenail. I got it fighting for a rebound with somebody a little bigger than me, imagine that. He came down with the ball, and I came down with a smashed foot.

Speaking of injuries, I was in a car accident on Friday. I’m totally fine. It was on the way to Windhoek. The car in front of us stopped for some baboons. They stopped in the middle of Namibia’s busiest highway over a blind hill. TOURISTS! Our driver had no time to react and plowed into them. Nobody was badly injured, just scrapes and bruises. Now onto the reason I was headed there…

Back in December I applied for VSN (Volunteer Support Network). It’s a Peace Corps program designed to support volunteers throughout Namibia (Members pictured here). I was invited to join last month, and we had our training in Windhoek last weekend. I’m pretty excited about it. Volunteers experience a wide variety of emotions and if they need somebody to talk to then they can contact VSN. We’re certainly not qualified counsellors, just a resource of peer support. It's a combination of Group 26 and 27 volunteers. I also had to include this picture of a Windhoek coffee shop. Nice decor eh? And the name... Snob Coffee. How appropriate! Mom, we'll definitely have to make a turn at Snob Coffee when you visit in July.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David!!!
Yes..Snob Coffee sounds good. Did you know that a South African won the Masters?? He beat ole Tiger by -3. His last name is Immelman. Anyway at one point Tiger was in 5th place and he pulled into second on the last day. Can't wait for my trip...beach and relaxation foirst yay!!! I love you, Dave
Mom

Anonymous said...

Dave - I am so loving the hair!! Tim is also letting his hair grow, once again. I am suprised to hear you are not up to your normal physical being. . . you better catch up. Tim is on his way, hoping to train for a triathalon and then a half iron man. You wouldn't want him to beat you now when you return to the states. I love how you are so humble and uplifting of your colleagues and friends. The Snob Coffee Shop sounds like the place for me too! Tim keeps mumbling something about going to Africa and visiting his good friend Dave. . . can you believe he will get on a plane?!?!? You must rate really high, since he won't get on a plane for me... hahaha! Miss you so much Dave. I will be sending pictures soon on Madison and Tim flying the kite you gave her! Oh, and wish us Cagefighters luck. Our first game is on May 4th. Love you! Angela