Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Good Day's Work



Last week I spent one afternoon moving dirt around, yet it felt like one of the most substantial things I’ve done since being here. A group from Norway has spent a month here in Tsumeb rebuilding a kindergarten. Tate, Jesse and I joined them for a day’s worth of work. It really is satisfying to know you’re working on something your community needs, even if it’s just for a day. The group we worked with is part of a reality TV show back in Norway. Crazy huh? They have to complete tasks like these in order to continue getting funding for more international projects.

How am I doing? Ek kan nie klan nie (I can’t complain). My Afrikaans skills are still below average, but I can get by in conversation. It’s funny I recognize most of the words people say to me, but I still don’t quite get the meaning. I try to just go with what I think they said. I don’t speak it that much. My brother Jesse gets me speaking it every once in a while just to make sure I don’t completely lose the language. What else? When I first got here I was running and doing yoga, but I quit. I don’t know why but I have no desire for either one. I walk a lot and play basketball. I get so sore after basketball it takes me days to recover. I’m meeting more people but I’m still pretty anti-social after working hours. I read a lot, do crosswords, and now I’m addicted to Solitaire. I never liked that stupid game but now I’m hooked. I’m even keeping track of my winning percentage. I win about 1 in every 20 tries. You’d think that would be enough for me to give it up. I’ll be spending the next two weeks in Ongwediva. It’s the real ‘North’ of the country in the heart of Owamboland. I’m getting trained on a life skills program for secondary school students. I’ll probably write my next blog on that. Peace.

3 comments:

Dave Bull said...

I'm looking for the person who left a comment about having lived in Namibia from 1946-56. I would be happy to take some photos for you if you're still interested. Just write me another comment with contact details. If you specify that you don't want your info published then I'll make sure not to publish it.

Unknown said...

That is just like you, Dave, to keep track of your winning percentage in Solitaire! So Competitive! We miss you around here! I don't know if you know but I am the sales manager at KNAZ now...CRAZY I know! Doug is doing a great job and we are often reminiscing about you! Stay safe and keep writing those blogs! I LOVE reading them.

-Nikki

Anonymous said...

Dear Son,
JUst read your recent blogs.
Good writing.
You're not anti-social, proper term for being non-social is asocial. Anti-social is for psychopaths.
It is heartening to see you are grant writing and doing support groups...an excellent means of helping others. I run two of them here. Just be sure to buy coffee and donuts (if appropriate) and people will come. Proud to see you are visiting the elderly...the forgotten people. Working with the elderly is a priviledge and they always are gratefull. Regarding the things your center needs, can I send money??? or do we have to obtain goods here and send?

love,
Dad.