Monday, August 11, 2008

Time to go to work

I suppose I’m due for a work update. I’ve been avoiding this a little due to the lack of production on my end. At least I have excuses. In May, June and July I was gone from Tsumeb for about 10-15 days per month. So I didn’t get a lot done. I shouldn’t have many reasons to leave site in the next few months, and I hope they are much more productive.

I just finished my first ‘My Future is My Choice’ course with students at Tsumeb Secondary School. 13 kids graduated. Next month they’ll be presented their certificates in front of the whole school. I think the kids enjoyed it, and I know I did. I feel like I could be a pretty good teacher. I think the best part of the class had to be the question box. Some of the students were pretty shy, understandable for their age, but they made good use of the question box. I had to refer to my smarter Peace Corps colleagues quite a few times. Many of them actually studied medicine or health. So not only did they learn a lot, so did I. The plan is for me to conduct one course each school term. I’m already looking forward to starting my next class in September.

You may recall I started a compost pile back in March for the new garden to be planted in the spring. We were able to get two good size compost piles going thanks to the help of a local grocery store who provided us their rotting fruits and veggies. It took a while for the decomposition to get moving, but both piles look pretty healthy now. In fact, the rotten squash liked their new home so well they decided to sprout like wildfire. I spent last Saturday transplanting the new squash plants to our garden… our garden that didn’t exist. So I had to prepare the soil. Anybody ever heard of the double digging method? It’s supposed to loosen the soil down to 24 inches. It was pretty painful, but I promise you that soil is loose! I transplanted about 20 squash plants. Unfortunately they may all be dead. Did I mention I’ve never gardened before? I couldn’t keep the root balls together. The compost soil was so loose, the dirt just fell off the roots. I had Jesse come and look at it. He thinks since the compost piles were covered the squash plants got used to a warmer temperature and suffered major shock in the garden. Why didn’t I recruit him to help me? I’ve still got some more squash plants to transplant. I’m going to keep that compost pile uncovered for about a week before I move them. If anybody has suggestions please send me comments. Oh, I forgot about the mango seeds we planted. None of them sprouted. We’re going to try papaya now. Jacob assures me these will work.

I’m helping organize a community meeting and a self-defence class this month. I’ll let you know how it goes. Ta Ta.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey buddy! i'm so glad to hear you're getting to work more with the kiddo's over there! I bet you are a great teacher! I'm sorry to hear your squash died! My beautiful rose bushes are suffering a torturous death right now. I have no idea what to do for them. They look so sad and disgusted with me. I water them and feed them special plant food but they don't like it. I feel your gardening worries my friend!

Did you hear about Channel 2? They are shutting us down this Friday. We have our last local broadcast of over 30 years at 11pm after the Olympics. So SAD! I really wish I could have done something to avoid this but I don't think it was anything I could control. We've been billing the same for years now. Doug is trying to get the job he's always wanted at the gannett station in Knoxville. My new employee, Matt, is interviewing with azcentral and I will go back to being an AE at KPNX. Hopefully everyone will find work easily!

Anyway, I know Channel 2 is probably the last thing on your mind but I thought I would let you know what's going on. You are in our thoughts and I hope you have a wonderful week! Good luck with the compost pile! :)

Nikki

Anonymous said...

Dear David,
Gee my son the farmer. I spose it's like everything else, you keep trying and you get better at it.

This just seems so good for you son and congratulations on your graduates. And YES, you would be a wonderful teacher!!
Father knows best.

I love you more than all the sand in Namibia.

love,
Dadio.

Anonymous said...

Dave, this is Joleen, Cher's co-worker at the Health Department in Flagstaff. It seems like you are doing really well in country. Gardening can be tricky no matter what country you are in. We had volunteer sguash plants this year too. some of them actually turned out to be pumpkins, to my husband's chagrin. I thought moving them would kill them, but most of them made it. I hope you get to eat the fruits of your labor. We usually have to cross our fingers that the snow and frost will wait long enough for things to ripen, but i bet your growing season is pretty long. Good luck! ~ Joleen