Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Let's Get Physical

I’m back in Tsumeb after yet another detour. I spent the last two weeks in Windhoek for physio-therapy (British English). Nothing is really wrong with me. I just have some irritation in my right leg that I thought I’d get checked out. Why not? I have full medical coverage. I didn’t learn much. They say I have a bit of an abnormal separation in my lower spine. It’s something I was born with and it may be causing the problem. They recommended physio-therapy which is why I had to spend so much time in Windhoek. I’m doing stretches and exercises now that are supposed to help. The truth is I probably should’ve listened to my Mom last year when she evaluated me. She’s also a physical therapist and basically gave me the same plan.


I got a nice surprise when I got home. The squash plants are thriving! They were coming around before I left, but now they’re really kicking. Were they happy I was gone? Maybe my bad attitude was stunting their growth... could be a lesson to all of us who are parenting young species. We also started seeds in our planters a couple weeks ago. We planted green peppers, cabbage, spinach and tomatoes. Hopefully we’ll have something to put into the ground in a few more weeks. The ‘My Future is My Choice’ kids promised to help me with it. Here's a picture of them.


I’m looking forward to a Male Engagement Training next week. I’ll be going to Otjiwarango (2 hours south of Tsumeb) to be trained to give Male Engagement Workshops in Tsumeb. A Namibian colleague from Tsumeb will join me and help facilitate the workshops back here. I’ll let you know how it goes.




6 comments:

Roger Hornbeck said...

Hey Dave. Been thinking about you and your adventure often lately. may our great God richly bless you.
Roger

Roger Hornbeck said...

I am not sure that my first comment got through. Here it is again. I have been thinking about you often the last couple of months. You gave so mcuh to the Vineyard and me personally. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave,
Sure enjoy reading about your life in Namibia. I see some negativity in your writing. Guess you got that from my genes. Anyway, negative thinking isn't worth much. Never did me any good. Stay positive. If you change one life, if you help one person toward a better life, you have suceeded.
All is good here at home and we look forward to your RETURN.

I love you more than words can say.
PaPa

Anonymous said...

Hey, those squash sure are survivors, Son. YOu may just have a very green thumb.
Good, we have acres of land for you to plant on when you come home.

love,

Dad and Kim.

sdeblieck said...

Hey Dave,
We just harvested our pumkin patch and autumn is kicking in. Must be nice to have spring coming your way, eh? I really enjoy the blog; keep it up!
--Sean

Unknown said...

Hi Dave! Yayyyy for the squash! I have to give you kudos for all your efforts there! I have an extremely brown thumb and kill everything. Ask Joleen.. she can vouch that I have no live plants in my office. My son and husband planted wildflowers this past spring. Everything came up and surprisingly some tulips they planted (and forgot about) last year! The leaves are changing color and yes that crispness in the early mornings is back. Remember I told you about losing the Guidance Center contract? Well I've supplemented my hours by working part time (in addition to my HIV hours) for the Emergency Preparedness team here at the County. Interesting..lots of reading! I'm up to my eyeballs in how to prepare for ____ (insert disaster here.) Hope things are going well for you! Keep up with your physical therapy!
Take care!