Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just a little update

Well our support group is under way. We had seven attendees for the first meeting, all ladies. They don't speak any English. In fact, they are all Oshiwambo speaking. It's nice to have counterparts who speak the language. I went through the agenda in English while my counterparts translated. It's a funny feeling speaking to a group when you know they don't understand you. I had to do it so my colleagues had something to translate, but I felt really awkward. It's like speaking just to hear yourself talk. Anyway the first meeting went well. We discussed our plans for the group and requested feedback from them. We are still waiting for our sewing equipment and materials to come in and there isn't much work to be done on the garden right now. One of the ladies suggested we start with a bead project where we can make different types of jewelry from beads. That should be underway in the next couple weeks.

I just returned to Tsumeb yesterday. I spent last week in Okahandja with another new group of volunteers. It was myself and two other current volunteers there to answer questions, and my lord did they have them! I felt like a search engine being surfed all day. It was tiring, but also rewarding. I hope I gave them a good picture of Peace Corps Namibia. I guess that's all I have to say. I promise a more interesting blog next time. I'm reading a book on Nelson Mandela, one of my heroes, and would like to write something about him. Ta ta for now.

3 comments:

Michael L. said...

Big Dave - It's just good to know you're out there and doing well. It was great to see you at Christmas time, and I look forward to seeing you sometime again in the not too distant future. Much good fortune in your adventures - it's a blessing to be doing what you enjoy, and I can just imagine what satisfaction it gives you. I can tell these people enrich your life, and I'll bet you do the same for them. Michelle sends her best wishes, and I love your dad like he is my brother. I keep my hat in the truck, and wear it all the time. It's a great conversation piece! God bless you Dave - go Packers! Michael

Anonymous said...

Hello Son,

Congrats on your FIRST support group. Don't worry about people not understanding what you are saying, they can feel your love and compassion. It's worth more than words anyway. Good to see you've planted beets and such. I am so proud of you son. Keep on trying. I try to take a Taoist approach to effort. If you have a group and nobody comes...so be it. Leave the self criticism for the dog to crap on.

I love you,
dad

Jessica said...

DAVE! I can't believe the first blog of yours I read, you promise to be more interesting next time. Sheesh.

Just kidding... mostly. Anyway, it's cool that you have internet in your home. I'm a bit jealous.

Also? I think you were interesting this time. And I like your cape town picture.

your not so distant friend, Jessica