Monday, December 7, 2009

Mozambique

News Flash: My Peace Corps Service ended 3-Dec. My world tour began 4-Dec.

I left Namibia on Friday 4-December. It was sad, exciting, nerve-racking and lots of other stuff. I'm now in beautiful Mozambique... although it took three days on a bus to get here. Honestly the bus ride didn't bother me. I met some interesting people, got to spend eight hours in a place called Vryburg thanks to a broken-down bus, and my body only hurt half the time. But seriously, It went by like nothing. I think it's because of the pacienca (patience in Portuguese) of the people. We never really knew when our new bus would arrive but 66 people just waited. I never heard anybody raise their voice or get really upset. It really helps when the people around you are relaxed. I feel like that would have been a very difficult situation in Western culture. I arrived in Johannesburg, South Africa at 4am. This was actually convenient for me because my next bus left for Maputo, Mozambique at 8am. I slept a little at the bus station and then we were off.

I've been in Mozambique for less than 24 hours but I like it already. Maputo is the capital. It's where I will be for the next couple days before I go up the coast to a nice beach town called Tofo. The country language is Portuguese. Many people
speak hardly any english. That's been tough but I learned the greetings and how to point at stuff so I'm OK. Also I'm couch surfing via the couchsurfing.com website. It's great! I'm staying with a nice Portuguese family. Here's a quick photo... I think I'm still on this street actually. I better get back to exploring. My plan is to enjoy some Mozambiquan seafood, museums and street markets. From here I will meet my friends in Malawi, then travel to Tanzania, Kenya, Egypt, Israel, the UK, Italy... and maybe more if I'm not broke. Tudo Bem, Chao!

7 comments:

Nicolas said...

Glad to hear you had a successful wrap up and are enjoying some time off...I wanted to comment on one of your earlier posts ....."I wish I had a few pictures for you but taking them would’ve been silly. It would’ve changed the atmosphere, and I would've felt like an outsider. " I am not sure if your like me (visual memory) where you have a desperate need to visually catalog everything that you see, but sometimes in that rush... you definitely lose some essence of the moment. I know what you mean about "changing that atmosphere..." It's a tough trade up, but I think you choose the right way. Safe journey my friend.

Unknown said...

Wow Dave... it doesnt seem like that long ago when you were getting ready to leave. And now... your service has ended and yayy your world tour begins. I envy you!:) have a blast and I look forward to more blog postings and pics! We woke up this morning (mon 12/7) to snow! we're expecting 10-16 inches tonight. The roads are slippery and it took me 20 mins to get to work.. when usually it takes under 10. Happy Holidays!! take care.. Cher

Unknown said...

hmmm.... it appears my comment has been lost!! ha!

Ami said...

dave,
Congratulations!!!!!! Its been two years since you shadowed me and I'm happy that you made it successfully. Off course I always knew that you would. Have a great trip and stop by Washington D.C. on your way back :).
Ami

please please don't take a bus through northern mozambique. Patience may not be enough.

Anonymous said...

Hello son from snow blizzard Flagstaff...expecting 2 feet of it. Robin and kids coming this weekend for Christmas then Kim, Laurel and I head for Minnesota to bother the relatives.
Sounds like Mozambique is a beautiful destination.
Tried calling you yesterday (twice) but no luck, maybe your phone is kaput (broken in Minnesotan). By the bye, the Vikings got scalped by the Cardinals 17-30.
So son, remember old Chinese saying: Boy who doesn't write father, sleep in shed when coming home.

I love you,
dad

j8xman said...

Lucky! Have a great time Dave! Just got back from Phoenix to witness the Cardinals spank Brett Favre and the Vikings. It is no African whirl-wind adventure, but we sure enjoyed it. Stay safe and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

"but I learned the greetings and how to point at stuff so I'm OK." so you just learned how to point at stuff, huh? how embarrassing.

couch surfing is THE BEST. i was supposed to couch surf with these dudes in dublin for a week and ended up moving in for a month and a half. so great :) in italy you HAVE to go see the statue of david. it's breathtaking. your trip sounds awesome. i so wish i could travel around egypt with you. i hope to go in the next couple of years.

be safe, dave. have a blast! i love you.

- cecy