Saturday, November 24, 2007

My New Home

Hello All,

I'm at the end of my permanent site visit today. It's in Tsumeb! I'm the only volunteer having CBT and permanent site in the same location. I got here last weekend. It is truly beautiful. It's very green, colorful trees and quite a bit of rain. I'm living with a host family and will continue to do so for my full 2 years. They are really wonderful. They are tate Lebbius, meme Rosina, 17-yr old son Jesse, and 1-yr old daughter Tangasia Cssdy Ulla Palla. Yes, that's her first name. I do have pictures, but forgot my camera connection. Sorry, I'll send some later. The family has been incredibly warm to me, and I've enjoyed some great cooking. Last night we had my new favorite meal. They call it Braai & Pap (BBQ & Porridge). The meat was Mutton ribs and broerwors (sausage). Man it was excellent! Meme Rosina will be living in Windhoek next year for advanced Nursing school/work study. I will really miss her cooking. So it will be a bachelor pad... me, Jesse and Tate Lebbius. The father is a regional councilor here in Tsumeb. He is a very popular guy. Everywhere we go he gets caught up talking with the people. My job will be working closely with him and the local Constituency Aids Committee (CACOC) trying to get the new Meameno HIV/AIDS Support Center going. It just opened in May and we are struggling to get the community to use it. I look forward to working on that. There are several young Red Cross and TCE (Total Control of the Epidemic) volunteers here that I will be working in tandem with. It seems like quite a challenge at this point, but I'm sure it will be fun. I've met so many people in Tsumeb already. I'm just trying to remember faces for now.

I live in a very nice modern home. They even have satellite TV! In the backyard we have mango, guava, lemon, narches (like tangerines I think) trees. I can't wait to pick fruit off of them. Next week I will be shadowing a current PCV (peace corps volunteer... I'll be using a lot of acronyms, hope they don't confuse you) next week in Omuthiya. Then I will train all of December back here in Tsumeb.

I'm starting to go through the emotional highs and lows. Thanksgiving day was tough. I certainly missed friends and family, but the very next day was great! Never know how I'm going to feel. PLEASE KEEP SENDING THE GREAT COMMENTS. YOU ARE REALLY MAKING ME SMILE.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like an interesting place you got yourself into. i'm not sure of the altitude there or the latitude, but from your description of the fauna you have a good growing season. sounds like you could just live off of the fruit trees in the back. yesterday was adams last day at the station as he got a job in st. george, utah. closer to his family, etc. as for the pack, brett is having a banner year and they are playing like they are going to beat dallas in nfc and the pats in the super bowl. we are starting to prepare for our annual new years day party and will miss you. i'm not sure how to get ahold of your dad, but you could remaind him for us. anyway keep up the good work for us. its hard for the u.s. to get a good name in the world these days, but for people like you giving us a better image of what we are really like. have fun. steven

Anonymous said...

Hello David,

Sounds as if you are living in a beautiful area. I'm pleased you ended up with some water and trees.

We missed you on Thanksgiving son.
Robin, Laurel, Bella, Michael, Kim and I prayed for your butt, so you stay safe.
Love,
YOur family

Dad

Nicolas said...

I don't know if the peace corps know how lucky they got when they got you dave. You sound determined and energized by the coming tasks at hand..

Anonymous said...

Dave,
It is so cool to hear about your new home. It sounds very nice with nice people. You are an awesome person, keep your head up!
Christine

Anonymous said...

Dave,

It's really cool to see you doing well in Africa. You're going to have an adventure you'll remember for the rest of your life. One that matters. Good Luck.

Rich P.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave!

Happy Thanksgiving. Flagstaff misses you. It was COLD this weekend! Congrats again on your grand adventure and keep the blogs coming...

Steph Smith

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave,

I have been reading some of your posts with interest, as I used to live there from 1946-56. My father was the superintendent of the refinery then and I was just a small boy. I turned four after I arrived.

One of these days I'll get back to visit. Would you be willing to takes some photos of my old houses, the recreation club and bioscope, and the main street for me, please? I'd love to see what those places look like now.

I'd be happy to send you books, CDs, or whatever you require in exchange for this favor.

Kindest regards,

Richard Ong
rao at mchsi dot com.