Thursday, November 15, 2007

Settling in

Yesterday we visited a public hospital and clinic in Okahandja. While the facilities aren't great, they are better than I expected. You have to understand 'public' here means poor. People with very modest income would likely only go to private hospitals and doctors. It costs about $4N to visit the clinic and $8N to go to the hospital. That covers all care provided, including a trip to the main hospital in Windhoek if necessary. The staff we met were very informative and happy to speak with us. Unfortunately there just aren't enough of them. Doctors and nurses are in high demand here as you might imagine.


Earlier this week we got to go into the community with our language teachers and speak Afrikaans with locals. they were very receptive and patient with us. It was a lot of fun. Ek praat net 'n biejtie Afrikaans = I only speak a little bit of Afrikaans. It's not a very difficult language thankfully, although pronunciation is pretty wierd.


Tomorrow is a big day. It's site announcement. I will finally know where I will be spending the next 2 years. We are all pretty excited. My internet access will be very limited the next couple weeks. I'll do my best to check back in. This pic is from Saturday. We got to try many interesting cultural foods, like sheep brains. They are quite tasty.


Bye!!!

7 comments:

Nicolas said...

I am glad your doing well and safe .... If I was 10 years younger I would definitely be there with you. Please take care of yourself and write us when you can... Nick

Anonymous said...

Are you being serious when you say that Sheep Brains is good?

Unknown said...

Hi Dave!
its great to read all about your latest happenings! We really miss you here at the County. Our star volunteer is gone.. and will be hard to replace you! I was at TGC last tuesday and a person in PAC asked for you.. seems you did a test for him while he was in recovery. I informed him of your whereabouts and all he could say was.. "Wow! really?" lol Hope all is well and the bugs aren't as big as Joleen said!
Take Care..
CheR

p.s. World AIDS day = December 1.

ross friend said...

Hey Dave enjoy every minute there! You better start looking now for some tickets to the World Cup! Dave I need you!!! I have no one to talk to about the packers! I put your picture in the chair next to mine so you can watch the game with me. Take care Bro!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, sheep brains. They serve them up at my favorite restaurant in Tirana with mayo. I usually went for some ham pizza instead. BTW, when I was first called up for Peace Corps in 1997 they said I was bound for Namibia. A week later they called back and changed it to Sri Lanka. I will have to get to Windhoek someday!

cori said...

Thank you for blogging your stay...I was in the first PCV group in Namibia 1990-93...and I can't believe with all the English Teaching I did, they still want to speak Afrikaans! (just kidding...) All the best to you...Namibia remains near/dear to my heart...and I'm grateful for the opportunity to read about people's experience...c

Anonymous said...

Hi there Dave! It is great to here you will be staying with such a nice family. We miss you and wish you well my friend! God bless! Tim